Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Caveats

It seems likely that a lot of this blog will consist of me saying "Derrida makes such-and-such a claim about linguistics, but he's wrong because blah-blah-blah..." That's fine, in fact it may end up being this thing's r. d'etre, but I want to take the opportunity to add a couple of caveats now so that I won't have to repeat them later.
  1. I will often make reference to aspects of linguistics that Derrida wouldn't have known about, either because he wasn't a practicing linguist or because they came about after Of Grammatology was written.
  2. Though he makes passing reference to a broader field of study, so far Derrida writes as though linguistics begins and ends with Saussure. It doesn't, and it would be tiresome for me to keep pointing this out, so I won't.

No comments:

Post a Comment