Friday, March 13, 2009

A Glimmer


I'm mostly rolling my eyes and nitpicking my way through "Linguistics and Grammatology", but at the very end there I get the glimmer of the outline of an interesting idea that Derrida might be getting at maybe: this notion that our whole apprehension of reality may proceed through a perception of differences and that this mechanism bears a strong resemblance to the way we read. (As in literally read actual text.) This is how I take the passage on pg. 70 that begins "If the trace, arche-phenomenon of 'memory'...". There's even something lyrical about the idea that all of us go through life writing and reading the great text of the world. (Anyway, it sounded lyrical until I wrote it out just now, and then it sounded corny.)

I'm intrigued enough to try and understand this chapter better.

No comments:

Post a Comment